What do you think about when you think of home security? Whether it’s a high-tech security system, a fireproof safe, or your pitbull Ralph, security comes in all shapes and sizes. Home security is something that shouldn’t be taken lightly, and Strauss offers plenty of products that can help you fully optimize the security in your home. We’re going to cover security mistakes that you should avoid so you can be sure to keep your Des Moines home and family safe.
7 Home Security Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make
If you’re looking to keep your home as safe as possible, avoid these risky security mistakes.
- “Trying” to hide your key – There is nothing wrong with keeping a key hidden outside of your house if you’re using safe tactics like a key keeper. Key keepers offer a way to keep your spare key or keys safe and sound so only those with the appropriate key or code can get into them. Burglars know all of the typical hiding spots such as under a rock, above a light, or under the welcome mat. If you’re going to keep a key outside of your home, avoid trying to hide it unless you’re doing it securely.
- Leaving a broken lock for another day – Have a broken lock on your house? Don’t let that sit around for long. Broken locks make it extremely easy for anyone to get in your home including people that you don’t even know. If you notice you have a broken lock, contact one of our Strauss locksmiths to get it fixed as soon as possible.
- Forgetting to turn your burglar alarm on – Burglar alarms are made to keep you safe from people trying to break into your home. If you own any sort of alarm system, don’t forget to turn it on when you’re sleeping, out of the house, or just want an extra level of protection. At Strauss we carry a wide variety of options you can choose from to help you feel safer including home burglary alarms, indoor cameras, and remote video viewing.
- Failing to have a neighbor keep an eye on your home when on vacation – Whether you’re out of town for two days or two weeks, it’s always helpful to have a neighbor keep an eye on your place. Of course they don’t need to keep watch 24-7, but keeping a casual eye on your home can be extremely beneficial. Ask them to look out for cars parked outside that aren’t usually there or people looking around the outside of your home.
- Not having any outdoor lights – Having outdoor lights outside of your home is a great way to signal to other people that you are home. It also makes things a little brighter to deter burglars from trying to sneakily creep up to your house. Just because you have outdoor lights doesn’t mean that you need to keep them on at all times, but turning them on at night is always a great idea.
- Keeping ladders leaning against the house – You cleaned out the gutters a few weeks ago but didn’t feel like taking that ladder down and putting it in the storage shed or garage. While it’s easier just to leave it up against your house for another day, think twice before you do so. When ladders are left against your Des Moines home you’re making it much easier for an intruder to get up to that hard to reach second story window. If possible, always put your ladders away immediately after use.
- Neglecting to check your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors – Though many people think of home security as keeping yourself and your family safe and secure from others breaking into your home, security also has to do with your families security against things such as fire or carbon monoxide. Make sure to keep your home equipped with the proper amount of heat, fire, water, and carbon monoxide detectors. Also be sure they are running properly. If your home is in need of any of these detectors, contact the professionals at Strauss.
Strauss Security Solutions: Always Keeping Your Home Protected
At Strauss, we pride ourselves on offering a wide variety of home security solutions and systems that can keep you and your family protected. Understand that you’re in need of home protection but don’t know where to begin? Contact our helpful staff today to get started. We carry impressive products such as access control systems, home security systems, security cameras, residential safes, and more. Reach out to Strauss today to learn more about home security in Des Moines, West Des Moines, Ankeny, Johnston, Urbandale, Clive, Norwalk, Indianola, and Waukee.
Call Strauss Today! 515-276-7030